Friday, July 04, 2008

What principles?

Charles Krauthammer on Obama: "A man of seasonal principles"

Two weeks ago, I predicted that by Election Day Obama will have erased all meaningful differences with McCain on withdrawal from Iraq. I underestimated Obama's cynicism. He will make the move much sooner.
Look, unlike others, I didn't fault Obama for breaking his pledge and opting out of public financing. When you're sitting on the kind of money he commands, it's political suicide to toss it aside. What's starting to bug me about this guy is that he seems to be sending a double message to his Nutroot supporters: "I have to say this stuff now, but you know the score once I'm in office":

As Obama assiduously obliterates all differences with McCain on national security and social issues, he remains rightly confident that Bush fatigue, the lousy economy and his own charisma -- he is easily the most dazzling political personality since John Kennedy -- will carry him to the White House.
Of course, once he gets there he will have to figure out what he really believes. The conventional liberal/populist stuff he campaigned on during the primaries? Or the reversals he is so artfully offering up now?
I have no idea. Do you? Does he?
Oh, I think I do and he does. Obama is going to dive to the center and wink at his rabid supporters. It's all about 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue now.

Extra - They're losing the New York Times! "We are not shocked when a candidate moves to the center for the general election. But Mr. Obama's shifts are striking because he was the candidate who proposed to change the face of politics, the man of passionate convictions who did not play old political games."

More - At Memeorandum, of course.

Even more - The Obama cultists admit it's just for show. That's funny: I thought an election was a competition of policies and government philosophy. Now "winning" is a principle. Change you can believe in, America.

No comments: