Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Like a salmon swimming upstream...

Well, I tried to post from my sister's ancient computer with dial-up, but never in the three years since she got the Emachine has she checked her system for spyware/adware. Trying to get through her Internet connection was like slogging through mud as I desperately tried to close pop-ups as fast as they appeared. Eventually I figured out that her Netscape browser only had a fraction of pop-ups and I managed to download Ad-Aware. On it's first run, it found over 1100 bad files; after the definition update it found 200 more.

Still, I couldn't get onto Blogger and even now I'm editing a current post (the space shuttle got down) rather than make a new one. I'm not even sure if this will publish after I'm done. I'm on my wife's Apple Powerbook running an old version of AOL.

My computer is still at Best Buy, but the Geek Squad guy said they managed to clean the disk of all viruses but that they're having trouble moving all the data to the new hard drive and it will be a couple more days. (Sigh). Still, I was happy they took care of that virus/spyware attack and installed new security software. While I was away, I also downloaded SpyWall, Registry Mechanic, and Mozilla Firefox; I'll install all these after I get my computer back over the next couple days. The Best Buy guy said it'll definitely be done by Friday because they need to clear out for the big sale this weekend. Here in Massachusetts there's going to be a "sales tax free" weekend so everybody's holding off on major purchases until the weekend. It's funny but some people don't like to pay taxes.

Your favorite blogger will be back up to speed soon. [crossing fingers] As always, thanks for your E-mails and comments with comptuer advice. I think I'm almost out of the woods.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are alone, call this number 800-211-9293. Connect with Real Singles from your local area instantly for only $0.99/min with a $4.99 connection fee. A true Match is only one phone call away 800-211-9293. Meet people with common interests and desires now. Check it out. 800-211-9293

Anonymous said...

ah, the irony.. you spend days trying to rid your system of pop-ups spyware, only to have some jerk spam your comments section

talk about kicking a guy when he's down.. but to borrow a line from Better Off Dead.. "buck up, little camper!"

Anonymous said...

Wait... wait... I need that # I AM ALONE Kidding. Good to see you are backish...

Brian said...

What are you talking about? People in Massachusetts love paying taxes!!