Sunday, October 23, 2005

Reporting from Boston

Very quickly because I'm using a computer designated to check E-mail: took the kids on the Boston Duck Tour yesterday. Our driver was the "Karaoke Cowgirl" who wore Western garb and fake six-shooters. When she casually asked if there were any Yankee fans on board today, she lifted up the gun for all to see. Funny. (There were no admitted Yankee fans.)

She also said the "Ivy League" was so named because there were four original colleges and the Roman numeral for 4 is IV. I gotta check on that one.

Later, we went to Boston Common where they were trying to break the record for the most lighted pumpkins at once. I don't know if they broke the record (haven't seen a paper today) but there was a steady drizzle all day, so it might have been hard to light the candles. I've been hiding out in the hotel/conference ever since.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She also said the "Ivy League" was so named because there were four original colleges and the Roman numeral for 4 is IV - From Google this is not true. As I always thought it is from the ivy on the walls

Anonymous said...

So I take it that my favorite explanation, that it refers to IntraVenous drug use, is also not true...