Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Andrew Sullivan said what?

The indefatigable Bush-basher reflects on 2,000 deaths in Iraq yet stands amazed at the progress made:
If someone had told me three years ago that by October 2005, Saddam Hussein's murderous tyranny would be over for ever, that Iraq would have a new constitution that emerged from a democratic process and that it will soon have a democratically elected parliament and government, I would have been thrilled. If I were further told that the inevitably embittered Sunni Arab minority had decided to throw itself into democratic politics to amend the constitution and protect its interests in a future Iraq, I would be amazed by how swiftly democratic habits can take root in a post-totalitarian country. If I had been told that, despite extraordinary provocation from Jihadist and Sunni Arab terrorists, the country had not dissolved into civil war, and that unemployment was dropping, I'd be heartened. If I had also been told that the United States had not suffered another major terror attack since the fall of 2001, I would have refused to believe it.
Considering how little effort and materiel required to launch an a terrorist attack, I'm also astonished that nothing else has occurred. (Hat tip: Balloon Juice)

No comments: