Saturday, October 01, 2005

The 2nd amendment diaries – School time

So today was the firearm safety course that I’m required to take before they’ll let me have a gun here in Massachusetts. There were a dozen fellow citizens packed into a community room and we listened to a police officer go through the different kinds of handguns, the meaning of “license to carry” and various Massachusetts laws. I won’t bore you with the details, except to note that I only got three questions wrong on the qualification test, so I’m on my way.

Regarding an issue of hot debate, during a break I asked the officer: “I want a firearm primarily for home protection. Half the people I talk to say ‘get a shotgun’ and the other half say ‘get a handgun.’ Which would you recommend?” He fell into the handgun camp, stating that for quick accessibility in a crisis (e.g. “what’s that sound downstairs?”) a handgun can be retrieved more quickly. He then went on to regale us with his performance at a Smith & Wesson-sponsored event here in Western Massachusetts. In one particular challenge, he had to start in a prone position, retrieve a handgun from a quick-access safe, and shoot several intruders. He claimed (with noticeable pride) that he completed this task in 4.5 seconds. I’m tempted to say “no way” except I know I’ll get all sorts of E-mails and comments insisting it can be done.

Anyway, I’m still moving forward with this. Sometime this week I’ll pick up my safety course certificate and (hopefully) get my firearm ID and my class A license to carry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you're still pursuing this.. my position is that having a firearm for home defense is a "can't lose" situation as long as it's done responsibly.. how often do you ever hear of people saying "I had a gun and I wish I didn't" as opposed to saying "I didn't have a gun and wish I did".. it's like saying "gee, I wish I didn't have a million dollars so I wouldn't have to pay that $300k in taxes that I didn't have"

I also fall into the camp of handgun for home defense.. it's a personal thing, and I think you can't really go wrong whether you pick handgun versus shotgun (as opposed to no gun, which is a losing bet against an armed intruder).. but I feel a handgun is easier to retrieve, easier to wield, and just as intimidating

the shotgun does have the advantage of requiring less accuracy or familiarity to use.. which might be important if your wife ever needed to use it.. but if she isn't involved in the training, it's probably irrelevant as she's not likely to pick up a handgun or shotgun for home defense.. whereas if she is trained in gun functions, it doesn't matter which is at hand.. she'll know how to use either

my personal opinion is a reliable 1911 model with hollowpoints.. but I would approve of a nice shotgun that could be used for skeet/trap shooting, too

Anonymous said...

Several points in the shotguns favor. One, nothing says “hello I’m armed” quite like the racking sound of a pump shotgun. Two, combine it with fact all you have to do is point in the general direction of your target. Three, the shot is not going to travel through several walls of the house.

Anonymous said...

To find more knowledgable people than I arguing about this... go to www.thehighroad.org and poke around a bit (or www.thenationofriflemen.com, and go look for the forum) to find threads on just this.

Short version is: go with what you're most comfortable and most able to hit your target with. That being said, the shotgun's a long gun more instinctive to aim (but I call shenanigans on "point it in the general direction" won't work on the short ranges of inside a house) than a handgun, and, as bigus macus said, if you want to announce your presence, nothing does that quite like the cha-ching of a slide action shotgun. But, the argument in favor of handguns is always that a small, less powerful gun in your hand is better than the [insert favorite arm here] sitting in your closet. Say someone's knocking on your door at 3am... if you wouldn't bring a shotgun to the door, but would bring a handgun, have a handgun. That said, I don't currently have a shotgun, but I've got a S&W 686 by my bed.

So, now that I'm done rambling... read up on the advantages and disadvantages, think about it a bit... then go with what you're most comfortable with. As you get more comfortable with shooting in general, then you can worry about what's "best" and learn to use it correctly. When you're starting out, choose the gun you feel most comfortable with among guns that would do the job. (including most non-crappy shotguns and handguns)

Nate

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything Nate said.. I prefer a handgun for personal defense in confined places for exactly the reasons he mentioned

another aspect a person might want to consider is that a handgun isn't confined to home defense.. most states allow concealed carry, and a shotgun won't help you there

still, I'm not arguing that you should get the handgun.. it's a personal choice.. but by all means, find a gun shop with employees that you're comfortable with.. get your hands on everything they have.. you'll know what's best for you when you're holding it

Anonymous said...

As far as access, it's practice and experience that count. I once watched my brother (a 30-yr state policeman and award-winning handgunner) get a pistol from a gun safe and put 4 rounds through a 6" bull at 7 feet in just over 6 seconds. It can be done. He pointed out that he'd be a little slower if awakened from a deep sleep, but was still willing to bet he could be under 10 seconds.

Bruce said...

Sometime this week I’ll pick up my safety course certificate and (hopefully) get my firearm ID and my class A license to carry.

Just to clarify - if you get your LTC, you won't need the FID card. The LTC covers all your bases.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is excellent - keep it up! Don't miss visiting this site about internet business from home
. It pretty much covers internet business from home
related stuff.