Monday, June 23, 2003

Stupid VH1 and their stupid list vs. my awesome mix

VH1, in their latest rating-grabbing "list" show, named the top 100 songs of the past 25 years. Number one is "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. At #4, bizarrely, is Eminem's "Lose Yourself" and – "criminally" is the only adverb that comes to mind – Whitney Houston's awful, endless, catharsis "I Will Always Love You" is #8.

When I got my new computer a couple years back, I burned a compilation CD that I'm very proud of called "Did Not Chart". They are songs that never made the Billboard Top 40. In my opinion, seeing as "Disco Duck" went to #1 in 1976, being on Billboard may not be something to brag about anyway. Here's my "Did Not Chart" mix:

1.) I’ll Feel a Whole Lot Better – Byrds
2.) Underground – Ben Folds Five
3.) Soothe Me – Sam & Dave
4.) Old Brown Shoe – Beatles
5.) Happy Birthday Mr. Burns – Ramones
6.) Save Me – Aimee Mann
7.) Whole Lotta Trouble – Cracker
8.) Don’t think twice, It’s All Right – Bob Dylan
9.) Rapid Roy (The Stock Car Boy) – Jim Croce
10.) Jacksons Monk & Rowe – Elvis Costello
11.) Wind Me Up – Fastball
12.) (Wish I could Fly like) Superman – Kinks
13.) I’m Wrong About Everything – John Wesley Harding
14.) Behind the Wall of Sleep – Smithereens
15.) I Can’t Turn You Loose – Otis Redding
16.) Come to Love – Matthew Sweet
17.) Let Me Make it Up to You Tonight – Jody Whatley
18.) Can’t Get There From Here – R.E.M.
19.) Gimme Some Money – Spinal Tap
20.) What is Hip? – Tower of Power
21.) Kyle Quit the Band – Tenacious D
22.) (Nothing But) Flowers – Talking Heads
23.) Love Grows (Where my Rosemary Goes) – Wayne Newton
24.) Just a Closer Walk with Thee – Venice Beach Boys

Discuss amongst yourselves.

No comments: