Friday, October 27, 2006

Quixotry!


Two weeks ago, a Massachusetts carpenter shook the world of Scrabble by racking up the most points ever in a sanctioned game. From Stefan Fatsis on Slate:

On Oct. 12, in the basement of a Unitarian church on the town green in Lexington, Mass., a carpenter named Michael Cresta scored 830 points in a game of Scrabble. His opponent, Wayne Yorra, who works at a supermarket deli counter, totaled 490 points. The two men set three records for sanctioned Scrabble in North America: themost points in a game by one player (830), the most total points in a game (1,320), and the most points on a single turn (365, for Cresta's play of QUIXOTRY).
Wow. I played Scrabble at lunch today (I lost) and my flashiest achievement was MUON played onto a triple word score while intersecting with SOU.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might have done better, if you weren't such a kwyjibo.

Bruce said...

My high score is 594 (kicking myself for not hitting 600). highest word was 212 points, for PEACHIER across two 3W squares, and C on the 2L.

I was getting some good letters that night.

Eric said...

Oh, I had the worst tiles today. At one point, I exchanged in four "E"s from EEEEEIT and drew "AEEU". The Scrabble gods were not smiling on me today.

Anonymous said...

You might have done better, if your sotry had been quicker.