Friday, November 04, 2005

The difference between Americans and Canadians

Early this morning, before I left for work, I flipped on the TV and caught ten minutes of an apocalypse-themed movie called “Last Night.” Here’s a blurb from Roger Ebert’s review:

Note: On a talk show in Toronto, I was asked to define the difference between American and Canadian films, and said I could not. Another guest was Wayne Clarkson, the former director of the Toronto Film Festival. He said he could, and cited this film.

"Sandra Oh goes into a grocery story to find a bottle of wine for dinner," he said. "The store has been looted, but she finds two bottles still on the shelf. She takes them down, evaluates them, chooses one, and puts the other one politely back on the shelf. That's how you know it's a Canadian film."

An interesting coincidence considering that Sandra Oh’s big breakout role was as Stephanie in the wine movie “Sideways.” (Hey, I like merlot)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric. C'mon. We're not drinking any Merlot.

Anonymous said...

no, it's ok.. let Eric have the merlot.. I'm not gonna touch it