Sunday, July 06, 2003

I love this country + I'm a lousy drunk

A couple days ago I posted a comment on Insignificant Thoughts about how Jon Stewart made a note after 9/11 about the Statue of Liberty. Vinny asked me to provide the exact quote and I found Stewart's opening monologue here. It should be required reading, but here's the main part I was referring to:

The view from my apartment was the World Trade Center and now it's gone. They attacked it. This symbol of American ingenuity and strength and labor and imagination and commerce and it is gone. But you know what the view is now? The Statue of Liberty. The view from the south of Manhattan is now the Statue of Liberty. You can't beat that.

Here comes the lousy drunk part where I ramble on, so tune out now if you want.

In the movie "City Slickers", Jack Palance tells Billy Crystal that the mean of life is one thing, but that one thing is different to everybody. Tonight, after dinner at the Ground Round, my younger son got separated from us while walking through the mall. It was just something stupid - we think he just followed somebody he thought was mom/dad - but it was extremely troubling for a couple of minutes.

So, there you go: my family is my one thing. They mean everything to me. And if it means exposing the Saudi complicity into 9/11 and the Islamo-fascist cabel behind terrorism from Dearborn to Dubai, then so be it. And I'm going to keep on doing my very small part to move this country and this world towards more freedom, openness, and security as long as I'm able.

OK....that's it. Time for another Sam Adams.

No comments: