Friday, May 10, 2024

You can probably guess which half

Reason: "Nearly Half of All Masters Degrees Aren't Worth Getting - According to new research, 23 percent of bachelor's degree programs and 43 percent of master's degree programs have a negative ROI."
However, different kinds of degrees were more likely to have a negative ROI than others. For example, 77 percent of bachelor's degrees and doctoral and professional degrees have a positive ROI. In contrast, just 57 percent of master's and associate degree programs have a positive ROI.
Story time: a couple years ago, I felt my career in engineering had hit a dead-end so I went back to school to get a master's degree.  This degree was a Master of Science degree in Engineering Management.

Know what kind of degrees have a positive return on investment (ROI)?

1) Engineering
2) Management

and ipso facto

3) Engineering Management

For me, it was a great investment and enhanced my career.  So YMMV but thumbs-up for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric -

I myself have a Masters in Project Management but I'll bet it's quite similar to yours; essentially an MBA but instead of concentrating on marketing or finance we had required courses on quality assurance, risk management, and project management itself.

ROI, you ask? Mine only cost me $1000 back in the late 90's (the hospital I worked for picked up the other $15k or so) and within a year my salary jumped from $48k to $90k (and the commute to my new job dropped from 45 minutes to 10 minutes).

I used to joke that my calculator didn't have enough digits to calculate my ROI...

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric -

P.S. I should really mention that the masters degree was the foundation for the best F-you story ever told, and collecting my final tuition reimbursement check and graduation bonus on my last day of work was but a tiny piece of that.