Monday, February 02, 2009

How I spent my Super Bowl Sunday

So yesterday I went to the convenience store to buy my Sunday papers, slipped on the ice, and dislocated my shoulder.  I would not recommend it.

I drove to my local Western Massachusetts hospital where a doctor did a "Mr. Miyagi" fix by rolling my arm in a circle and popping it back into place.  I'm in some moderate pain but it's mostly just when I reach my arm beyond a certain limit.  Which recalls a certain vaudeville joke:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Don't do that."

Then I went to a neighbor's house (arm in sling) to watch the Superbowl.  Now I've seen the Giants come back in the second half (1986?), and I saw the Patriots defeat the "unbeatable" Rams to win their first Superbowl, and I recall last year's Giants upset.  (I was too young for Superbowl III.)  Without a doubt, this was the greatest Superbowl game ever.

And I'll confess I was rooting for the underdog Cardinals, but you have to hand it to the Steelers.  They were not to be denied.  This game had it all: a 100-yard interception runback, a safety, lead changes, an impossible toe-tip catch with 35 seconds left on the clock.  Wow!  Congrats to the Steelers.  I (painfully) tip my hat to you.

Related - Time/CNN: "Best and worst Superbowl commercials."  It wasn't the funniest, but I thought the one where the auto execs finally get the name "Hyundai" right (because it won car of the year) was effective.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Slipped on the ice and hurt your shoulder. Doesn't sound very original.

Anonymous said...

I dislocated my shoulder back in 1992 then again in 93 and 94....once you do it you have an 80% chance to do it again. Slipped on a floor, dislocated, playing hoops, dislocated and even once did it while I was sleeping. I finally got mine fixed and I couldn't be happier.