Friday, August 10, 2007

Roger Ebert stoops to Godwin's Law

From his review of "No End in Sight":

Although Bush and the war continue to sink in the polls, I know from some readers that they still support both. That is their right. And if they are so sure they are right, let more young men and women die or be maimed. I doubt if they will be willing to see this film, which further documents an administration playing its private war games. No, I am distinctly not comparing anyone to Hitler, but I cannot help being reminded of the stories of him in his Berlin bunker, moving nonexistent troops on a map, and issuing orders to dead generals.
Oh, all-powerful "not comparing" qualifier: save me from Dick Durbin's fate!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comparing Bush to Hitler = out of bounds, totally crazy vicious!

Comparing Bush to Winston Churchill, FDR, or Harry Truman = an intriguing analogy, history will be the judge!

Matthew Bamberg said...

All talk about politics should be steered from war and Bush to no war and...infrastructure.

Anonymous said...

"...but I cannot help being reminded of the stories of him in his Berlin bunker, moving nonexistent troops on a map, and issuing orders to dead generals..."

A good thing he wasn't comparing anyone to YOU KNOW WHO.

Anonymous said...

I don't get it.

What Army or Marine units have been destroyed? What U.S. generals are dead or captured?

I have not always agreed with the way the Bush Administration has handled the Iraqi occupation, however, I have never heard a legitimate report of Presidential interference in the theater of operations like Lyndon Johnson's during Vietnam. Bush is not moving any troops around on a map - he knows how to delegate that job to his generals.