Tuesday, July 17, 2007

I'll take "Late 70's TV" for $1000, Alex

For whatever reason, this floated into my cranial transom today and now I'm searching all over for a video from the Gong Show:

"I'm Gonna Play My _____", an alleged musician (also portrayed by Spencer)whose various appearances featured a series of different instruments. His call-and-response act featured him proclaiming, "I'm gonna play my (trumpet, fiddle, xylophone, kettle drum, etc.)" and the audience shouting back, "Whatcha gonna do?" This exchange would be repeated twice, after which he would announce, "I'm gonna play my (instrument) nowwww!" After a few repeats of this, the skit generally ended with Spencer failing to play his instrument; either time ran out, the instrument malfunctioned or was booby trapped, or he would struggle to produce a few inept notes before being permanently interrupted by Barris.
Anybody ever catch this skit? Great stuff. Wow, I'm really dating myself now.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

HA HA HA HA !I WOULD BE LAGHING IF I SAW IT!HA HA HA HA!:-)