Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Alone in the Lone Star state

Remind me again why I hate to travel? Oh yeah. Yesterday at Bradley airport, the line to get through security was literally - not figuratively - a football field long. It extended the entire length of the concourse and made a little loop at the end. At least I got the only seat on a Southwest plane where I can stretch my legs (next to the emergency exit).

Since there are no direct flights to Galveston, I had to rent a car at Houston Hobby airport and drive about 45 minutes. I saw more boot stores on that drive than I've seen in my entire life. Apparently, Texas buy a new pair of boots with the same frequency that Greenwich Village residents visit Starbucks. It seems like every store beside the highway sits on an acre of land. Big country.

Otherwise, I've been stuck inside the hotel/convention center all day with my meals provided by Shell, Chevron, and Halliburton. Apparently it's been a good year for the oil companies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah. Houston is how you go to Galveston, much the way you would fly to Boston to go to Plymouth.

My cousin lived in Galveston for a long time, and I spent several days there when she married her first husband. Now she lives on the mainland, still near the coast and not far from Galveston. Hitchcock, I think it is.

Mark said...

Welcome to Texas, my friend! At least you're not in this area in a few months, when it will be 100 degrees and terrible humidity.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well...

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm doing a social studies degree at university and I need to talk to some people who would like to take part in a study into making friends on the internet. I've used this site (make friends online) to contact people but wondered if you knew of any other way I could contact interested people.
Many thanks