Saturday, January 03, 2004

Who is Eric Lindholm?

In celebration of my one-year blogoversary here, I thought I’d let everyone know a little more about me.

I was born Valentine’s Day, 1968 in New Jersey.
I’m (nearly) 6’3” and I used to play a lot of playground basketball.
I grew up in North Arlington, New Jersey and attended NAHS.
I broke my collar bone, my foot, and my arm before I got to high school. After I broke my arm throwing a football (true story), I decided that maybe God didn’t plan for me to be an athlete.
After graduation, I attended Rutgers University in 1986.
While there, I met my wife. As legend has it, we were having a party and my roommates warned her to “stay away from me” while inebriated since I tend to argue politics – loudly. She was instantly smitten.
I graduated in 1991 with a B.A. degree in English and a B.Sci. degree in Ceramic Engineering (a branch of materials science.)
Got a job as a fiber optics engineer at a company in Massachusetts.
Proposed.
We honeymooned in Egypt.
Moved to Western Massachusetts.
In 1996, took a job as a fiber development engineer in Connecticut; long commute.
In 1999, published my first paper on carbon deposition for hermetic coatings; presented at a conference in Atlantic City.
Last year, published my second paper on zero-stress aging behavior of optical fibers; presented at Orlando.
Also last year (a good one for the career), invented a coating die to dramatically increase line speeds – filed with U.S. Patent Office.
My paper proposal on fiber reliability has just been accepted for a conference in France. My wife has suddenly indicated a great interest in this field of study and wishes to accompany me to the conference.

Favorite fiction book: “A Confederacy of Dunces” by John Kennedy Toole
Favorite non-fiction book: “The Prize” by Daniel Yergin
Currently reading: “Quicksilver” by Neal Stephenson
Favorite movie: “This is Spinal Tap”
Best movie I’ve seen recently: “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”
Favorite TV show: “The Simpsons”
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat
Favorite meal: Steak Au Poivre (with pepper – very hard to find)
Favorite baseball team: Boston Red Sox (adopted upon move to MA)
Favorite football team: New England Patriots (ditto)
Favorite artist: Elvis Costello
Favorite CD: Impossible to say…”Ben Folds Five” maybe (first)
Last CD I got that I really like: “Dear Catastrophe Waitress” by Belle & Sebastian
Last really good concert I saw: Aimee Mann at the Calvin in Northampton.
Favorite Republican: Abraham Lincoln
Favorite Democrat: n/a
Favorite diversion: Civil War history
Favorite quote: “Giving money and power to politicians is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys” (something like that) by P.J. O’Rourke.

Whew – that’s all for now. You ladies can see what you're missing: scroll down for a picture of me here.

No comments: