Thursday, December 30, 2021

My well-timed cruise

The week before Thanksgiving, I went on my first vacation since covid: a Disney cruise.  I mention this because of this news just out today: "CDC: Avoid cruise travel regardless of vaccination status."  It looks like I made it just under the wire.

So, just by way of background, I've been nearly losing my mind stuck in my house (or work) since March 2020.  My wife and I made a last-minute reservation which then triggered the following steps just to get on the ship:
  1. Upload of a scan of my vaccination card
  2. Testament that I didn't have any symptoms
  3. Nose swab and test at the dock
It was necessary to wear a mask whenever inside (except for eating), but the masks came off while on deck or at the beach.  As a result, a much needed escape from covid came with a near-constant reminder wrapped around my mouth.  Therefore, it was a mixed bag of a vacation.

The boat we were on typically accommodates 2700 guests; they told us there were only 900 on board.  This meant short lines everywhere.  But it also meant small crowds for some of the entertainment.  We saw the same people at trivia games and the lounges were barren by 11pm.  Disney usually has a whole slate of events but they were either cut back or cancelled.  The character greets were replaced with something they called "Appear and Wave" where you could take a selfie from a respectable six feet.

It was nice to get away for a week but, frankly, I can't see cruising again until covid is far in the rearview mirror.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If more Republicans had your common sense regarding COVID, Trump might actually be president today.