Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Sheryl Crow's Humble Opinion and Search for The Truth

Sheryl Crow takes off the sequined T-shirt and the "No War" guitar strap and tries to explain her anti-war stance in something a little longer than a bumper-sticker slogan. Unfortunately, she gets off to a bad start pretty early on:

I consider myself a citizen of the world as well as a proud American. I love my country and all it has to offer. I believe in the pathos it was founded on...the right to express what one feels without loss of freedom, the right to worship, the right to vote, the right to bear arms in a respectful manner, etc. I am not un-American in my stance but simply exercising my right to free speech. [Emphasis added]

Um….that would be "ethos", Sheryl.

That might be a little unfair. Say what you want about Sheryl's opinion piece – and there's a lot to criticize – she is clearly earnest. Putting aside the faux sacrifice ("I am currently selling my BMW SUV"), she believes these things and backs up her viewpoint with facts and opinions to support her case, including a couple of hyperlinks at the bottom of the page. She is not, let's just say as a hypothetical figure, a Senator from South Dakota, cynically grasping for some political points. She makes a principled case and stands by her beliefs. So, as much as I disagree with her, at least her exposition is refreshing in its candor.

No comments: