Saturday, October 01, 2016

Undisciplined, part 2

Here's Jonah Goldberg on why candidate Trump can't reel it in:
And that’s Trump’s Achilles’ heel: He can’t resist punching down. He can no more stop himself from “counter-punching” the little guy than my dog can agree not to chase rabbits. (“It’s just so hoppy! I must kill it!”)

Everyone knows this. Hillary Clinton knew it and she baited him. She almost literally could have said, “Donald, I’m going to bait you. You would be a fool to take the bait. But I know you will.” And he still would take the bait. In fact, I think he would be more likely to take the bait if she said she were baiting him, because he would want to prove that he could take the bait and win.
There's a scene in "Mad Men" where one of the "creatives" is angry at Don because he didn't pitch his idea to a client.  He criticizes Don and then concludes: "I feel bad for you."  Don responds flatly: "I don't think about you at all."

Trump can't do that.

1 comment:

Roger Bournival said...

That's the problem with having a massive ego - your need to snuff out any criticism whatsoever overrules strategic thought like 'is this a trap'? Despite this, he's still got a great shot at winning this thing.