Monday, June 27, 2005

The tips are getting lean at the Hollywood Starbucks

From the AP: “U.S. box office hits longest modern slump” Let’s get one thing straight: it’s not the $10 popcorn or the sticky floors. It’s the rotten product. Here’s the list of the top 10 movies from last week, with my commentary:

1. "Batman Begins" – What is this, the 20th Batman movie?
2. "Bewitched” – Coming soon: “The Jeffersons – Movin’ on up to the moon”
3. "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," – Pretty people with guns
4. "Herbie: Fully Loaded," – Another Disney rehash
5. "George Romero's Land of the Dead” – Another horror rehash
6. "Madagascar," – Cartoon animals, ‘nuf said
7. "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith," – The end at last
8. "The Longest Yard," – No commentary necessary
9. "The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D," - ?
10. "Cinderella Man," – This actually looks like a watchable movie

There’s a scene in the movie “The Player” where one suit proposed that the studio get rid of the writers and just slap together movies based on newspaper stories or old concepts. That’s where Hollywood is today.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took my 8 year old to see that Shark Boy and Lava Girl movie, which even he thought was dumb afterward. This movie would be appropriate for Gitmo interrogations only.

Brian said...

I took my 18-month old to Madagascar yesterday, her first movie. She loved it. I thought it sucked. The Shrek idea, appeal to both adults (by subtle references) and kids is losing steam big time.

By the way, I nominate anything with Sandra Bullock for Gitmo torture.

Anonymous said...

OK buddy!

I can understand Nos. 2-9 (Cinderella Man is a very watchable movie) but you simply go too far- too far! I say- when you question the greatness of Batman Begins. Forget all prior Batman films, for they pale in comparison to the darkness and gravity of this new Dark Knight. It is now as if no Batman movie had ever before been made. If you doubt this lowly commenter, please see Pej from June 25, and he will set you straight.

In all other respects, you have a fine blog, my friend. As lonely as you are in Western Massachusetts, I am in Venice Beach, believe me.

Vive la Resistance!

Dusty said...

The last and only couple of movies I'd seen in the 10 years at the theatre were The Passion and The Incredibles and only because I thought they were worth seeing on the big screen.

Other than that, I just wait for the DVD release and rent or buy, depending on probability I'll want to watch it more than once.

I prefer an upbeat Batman, not the dark characterization, so I haven't watched them beyond the first one.

I read a sports reporter's take on Cinderella Man where he criticized Howard's setting Max Baer as a bad guy just to have a bad guy image to play Braddock against as the good guy. He also noted that their fight was actually a pretty lousy and boring. So, I don't plan put any money in Ronny's pocket for it.

Jody said...

Actually, the $10 tickets do make a difference. For less than the cost of my wife and I going to a movie ($20), we can rent all the videos we want for a month from a number of different stores or buy a used video game...

Anonymous said...

The only bad thing about batman was that holmes as Wayne's former girlfriend became assistant DA wayyy too early in her career. Other than that it's a pretty good movie.