Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Sore loser alert

Occasional Senator John Kerry gave a speech yesterday to honor to Dr. King gripe about voter “disenfranchisement” in the 2004 election. I just loved the progression in this line:

"In Democratic districts, it took people four, five, 11 hours to vote, while Republicans [went] through in 10 minutes. Same voting machines, same process, our America," Kerry said.
“Four! Five!” (oh, hell, let’s go for it) “Eleven hours! I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts!”

Voter suppression in Democratic districts? Those damn Democratic voting officials!

2 comments:

Pat said...

Good article in the Cleveland Plain Dealer debunking some of the myths. They note that at one district, voters complained of " waits reaching 2½ hours."

Anonymous said...

I can believe it took "four, five, eleven hours" for some Democrats to vote. Each individual vote only took 15-20 minutes, but a lot of Democrats vote 8, 15, 30 times or more. Filling out all those provisional ballots adds time as well.