Thursday, December 18, 2008

Albinos unite against 70s funk music

Best post title ever.

A couple months ago, I picked up one of those 1970s funk music compilations from the library (50 cents) and one of the tracks is "Play that Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. Last night I finally gave it a listen and when they got to the line "Play that funky music, white boy" they had dubbed over the "white boy" with a loop of "play that funky music."

Were they concerned about the backlash from white boys? The CD was put together in 1989 which may have been the apogee of political correctness, I don't know.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I was a DJ (radio, nightclubs, weddings) for a long time and you would surprised how Program Directors at radio stations are so fearful of offending anyone, they won't risk anything. I remember that when Sugar Ray's "Fly" was big, the PD at the stattion I worked at would only play the version that had Sugar Ray only and didn't have the reggae dude or whatever he was on the track. He thought his older audience would hear that and change the station. After about 100 complaints, he finally played the correct version.

Unknown said...

Un-funking believable.