Monday, January 01, 2018

A year of Trump

I was going back over some posts I made in the months before the 2016 Presidential election which ranged from general criticism over Trump to openly advocating for his removal by Republican officials before the general election.  A year later, I still hate his undisciplined tweeting, the inability to shake off minor jabs, and his unpredictability.  But in terms of results, I feel like I'm on the receiving end of a speech by Col. Jessep:
"I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way."
What are those results?  The first major tax reform in decades, including a long-overdue drop in the corporate tax rate to put America on par with other nations.  The elimination of the Obamacare mandate.  Neil Gorsuch sits on the Supreme Court which is just the tip of the iceberg in the reshaping of the federal judiciary.  Contra Paul Krugman, the stock market keeps hitting new highs and GDP growth is knocking on 3% growth.  And Trump pulled out of that silly, feel-good, Paris Climate deal.

So, yeah, a lot of issues I supported came to fruition in 2017 in part because Republicans held together and grabbed the opportunity that will almost certainly vanish in early 2019.  I wish somebody would disable Trump's twitter account and tell him to think before speaking (*cough* Charlottesville *cough*) and consider the relationships he needs to foster to get things done.

But this seems like complaining about the blanket.  Trump's going to Trump.

Related - From Powerline.

4 comments:

Robert Mitchell Jr. said...

I would be more annoyed about the tweets if I wasn't old enough to remember how the Democrats/Press treated the gentlemen who came before like W and Romney........

Anonymous said...

You do realize Col. Jessup is the lawbreaking villain, no?

You do realize that the only Trump accomplishment on your list that (only possibly) required Donald Trump's presence was the Paris Accord hissy fit? Which will obviously be reversed as soon as 2021?

Roger Bournival said...

Who deleted my comment?

Anonymous said...

Russia, if you're listening, I think you will be rewarded mightily for finding Roger's tragically deleted comment.