Thursday, September 02, 2004

Bush’s speech: B+ raised to an A

In the first debate of the 2000 Presidential election, Al Gore defeated his own candidacy with his impolite sighing as George W. Bush was trying to make his points. I remember thinking to myself: “Agree or disagree, the man is allowed to make his case.” But Al Gore, and many other Democrats, didn’t think Bush was entitled to that minimum privilege.

I thought Bush’s speech was quite good and I especially applaud that he took on the Social Security crisis by calling for personal savings accounts (again). But I particularly want to thank those two protestors who decided that President Bush should not be allowed to make his case for re-election to the American people. You are the true face of the Democratic party: the Michael Moore/MoveOn wing that with perfect righteousness has decided to save the American people from themselves. Deepest thanks: you may have guaranteed President Bush’s re-election.

More on Bush’s speech tomorrow, but for now I need to go to bed – work tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surprise! Our Dauphin supports the children, he "takes the side of" families, Saddam was a madman (but let's not mention Os_m_), our soldiers are brave, "No dejaremos a ningún niño atrás" (happily, the Spanish word for "pander" is still "pander"), and the economy's going up, up, up.... zzzzzz.

Ooh, ooh, wait, there's more: "We are making progress and there is more to do." And you score that boilerplate pablum with a gentleman's A.

And not only that, but Dick Cheney's speech had so many good parts, it was hard to choose one. And Zell Miller's was spicy. And Arnold Schwarzenegger's was personal. And John McCain's was forceful and funny. And Rudy Guiliani, "oh sweet mercy," he's like the Liberty Bell or the cable cars, a national treasure.

Very clearminded analysis. To quote another great speaker this week, Dave Chappelle at the MTV Video Awards, "Let me ask you guys a question. What is it that you [b]DON'T[/b] like?"

Eric said...

Hey, I know that guy: darkly humorous ridicule dolled up as “rebuttal.” I ran into the same bitter and unsupported kind of argument when I asked him to explain four years ago how Bush stole the election, which terminated with him sputtering “some guys” told him so. Very convincing.

The reference to the MTV Video Awards is the dead giveaway.

C’mon, anonymous Des, you can sign your name. I won’t be mad.

By the way, if my speech analyses are a little blunt, it’s because I can’t stay up all night. I have to DRIVE to WORK in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I refuse, sir, to dignify your wild speculation about my possible identity in any way. (Incidentally, are you on board with scheduling Trivia for December, or January?)

Actually, I only posted anonymously because I finally got the full spam treatment at the beginning of 2004, and now refuse to sign for anything online ever again. I should have known that my prose style is so powerful, so compelling, so unlike the by-the-numbers drivel of John Kerry or the strong, inspirational by-the-numbers drivel of George W. Bush, that its true light would shine through the darkness.

You say I was reduced to sputtering "some guys, they, they told me..." in 2001. Oddly, my unclouded recollections have you, crumpled in a pool of your own urine, whimpering, "Teach me, Des, please teach me." Thus, the crux of our dispute. Which of our observations can be trusted above the other? Hard to say, but here's one clue: I'm not the one who rates Bush's acceptance speech an "A."

But since it seems to be so important for you to believe that the Florida election was fair and credible, but that Tom Brokaw and Anderson Cooper disenfranchised the voters of the Florida panhandle, far be it from me to disturb your slumbers. That's just the kind of compassionate conservative I am.

And don't you be a hater, now. Why, you'd only have 999 hits a day if it weren't for me!

Love,
Your pal, shrouded in mist